Friday, September 7, 2012

"I could be coming down with something ..."

Covering the spread ...
(Courtesy clintjcl @ Flickr)
One of the hazards of the trade in the teaching business is coming down with something that the students traipsed in with, usually some rhino-virus or something similar. Actually, I'm immune to a zillion of those, having caught just about every cold possible when I was a kid. Unfortunately, there are probably TWO zillion such viruses running loose in the wild so there's still a good chance that I'll catch hold of one from time to time. I keep instant hand sanitizer with me at all times, but there's just too many exposure points to be using that every time you touch something that may have been touched recently by a sicky. My best defense has always been to stay as healthy as possible to keep my immune system resilient. Still, that don't always cut it. And getting sick in the middle of an important training program is a bummer. Well, too late. It's happened. I have a cold.


So, I missed the three mile walk around the neighborhood on Wednesday.  (Correction: I did this but didn't remember that I did it - must have really been getting sick.) And I slept in instead of running the 4-miler at the Lakes on Thursday. And last night, I went to bed so early that I'm sure I slept at least 10 or 11 hours. I'm medicating - reluctantly. There's not a great deal you can do to end a cold, though you can reduce symptoms and shorten the duration a bit, they say.

Didn't miss any teaching, though. We're like postman: we're there whether sleet or snow or head cold. Plans are to do our weekend long run tomorrow since that's only a 4-miler at easy pace - don't want to wear myself out before the big football game that evening.

Here's hoping that we'll be done with this minor inconvenience and be back in training starting tomorrow. Until I'm over this, no kissing Mrs. timelapserunner.

1 comment: