Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Raggedy Andy the Runner

Sometimes I feel like Raggedy Andy
(Courtesy goingslo @ Flickr)
I don't know. Sometimes I just feel a little discombobulated. Just one step behind. A little sluggish. Like taking a day off from work - but I know I can't. Sometimes this affects the workout schedule. Like on Monday this week. Supposed to walk three miles. Felt tired and stayed in bed. Skipped the walk. Then on Tuesday, the weather was to be nice and cool. This would mean that we'd be going about as fast as we're allowed to go: 9:02 per mile during the running part, with an overall pace of 10:11 per mile. But we got off to a raggedy start, so-to-speak.


When the alarm clock went off at 5:30 AM, I thought for a moment and - realizing that it would still be cool even if I got up a bit later - I stayed in bed. AGAIN. Finally rolled out a little after 6AM, did the stretches and bugged out, heading for the Lakes. Less than a mile away from the house I sensed that I had forgotten something. I had. I had forgotten my heart monitor belt. Well, OK. So, I won't have heart rate data today. Big deal. About twenty seconds later I realized that I also had forgotten my GymBoss interval timer. Dang. That's gonna make doing the correct intervals difficult. Ah, no biggie ... I'll just use the watch to go three minutes running and one minute walking. Jump out of the car at the Lakes and start jogging. Then, I decided ... Oh, what the heck. Maybe I won't do intervals at all. Maybe I'll just run.

This is the way you get into trouble. Especially me.

Ran the first mile in 9:32, then walked about a minute.

Ran the next mile in 8:32, then walked about a minute.

Ran the rest of the distance at roughly 10:45 pace (with a rest interval or two stuffed in there), realizing that that 8:32 stuff is the making of insanity ... and injury.

Finished.

A raggedy run, for sure.

Didn't roll out of bed on Wednesday to walk either.

A raggedy week so far, I think.

Wonder if any of this has to do with doing a 15-miler last Saturday?

Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment