Thursday, January 3, 2013

In Memory of My Godmother

Almost to Aunt Leona's
The timelapserunner is overdue for a blog post. It's been more than two weeks now since the last. Somehow, today, all things running seem like so much vanity.

Yesterday afternoon, my aunt and godmother Leona passed from this life to the next - on a Wednesday, around 5PM, like her husband nearly 13 years before her. She outlived her two adult brothers by a good many years, not unexpectedly of course. Most of my memories of Aunt Leona are from my childhood, but all my memories of Aunt Leona are from experiences that were positive and live-giving. She was a great woman, possessed of many virtues. Most notable to me in reflection on my memories are her kindness, hospitality and strength. Perhaps I particularly note these because the timelapserunner senses his personal deficiencies there. Still, let me recall some memories.


Most of my memories of Aunt Leona are from very formative years - childhood and early adolescence. My Dad was faithful to visiting his mother and sister during those years of my life and I am very grateful for that. We made countless (to a child) trips to "the country" to visit, to go fishing and hunting, and spent some vacation time at Grand Isle with Aunt Leona and family. She was always about making sure that we enjoyed our visits, especially the great food prepared of various animals that were probably walking the backyard only a day before (or even less). My brother and I and Aunt Leona's three boys would have the best of times, even if we did get into more trouble than she would choose to put up with on occasion.

The scar to prove it ...
One felt so at home with Aunt Leona - as much at home as ... at home. She reminded me of Peter's mother-in-law from the synoptic Gospels, ever ready to serve her guests - even if just out of her sick bed. We looked forward to our visits largely because of how our aunt treated us "city relatives" --- she treated us like part of her family. Though I know she was a prayerful woman, to us kids she seemed in hindsight to be a lot like St. Martha, always making everyone feel at home and taking care of their every need. And, of course, all this amidst executing a lot of the barnyard chores as well as the household ones. Though I was never immersed in the rural culture enough to safely take care of myself - on two occasions there I injured myself fairly seriously, puncturing my foot with a large nail and gashing my wrist on a broken bottle in the trash - Aunt Leona was always there to the rescue to help me through the ordeal.

I can't help but believe that surviving many of the scrapes in my life are at least partly due to the prayerful intercessions of my godmother Aunt Leona. That's not something that she'd let you know. But it's undoubtedly true.

The passing of Aunt Leona comes a bit over a year after the loss of my mother's sister, Aunt Rosemary. Great ladies, both. Both instrumental in providing a nurturing environment, not only for their own families, but for their nephews and nieces as well. I miss Aunt Rosemary. I miss you, too, Aunt Leona. Thank you for everything. For everything.

Dearest Aunt Leona,
May the warm breath of the Father push you toward the gates of Heaven;
May the warm touch of the hand of Jesus walk you through those gates; and
May the warm breeze of God's Holy Spirit open your eyes to the truth of God's glorious Love that will now enfold you forever.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment