Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's hard to go that slow.

Tortoises racing!?
(Courtesy timparkinson @ Flickr)
The timelapserunner's official start-of-training doesn't begin till Monday, but we've been conducting the last few weeks of workouts in much the same manner as we expect to do during the first few weeks of the actual program - give or take a few experiments. So, the first thing I did before heading out the door this morning was to check the WAFB weather website for the expected temperature range in the local area for the time of my run. Remember: we need to correct pace for ambient temperature excess above 60°F.


My calculations suggested the following parameters: a) overall goal pace - 14:45 per mile, b) interval timing - 30 sec / 42 sec, and c) running pace - 13:20 per mile. Setting my Gymboss to the correct interval timing, I set out for the LSU Lakes to log in 4 miles using this strategy - only to discover great difficulty trying to run or jog at 13:20 per mile. I tried shortening my stride length a lot, while attempting to keep leg turnover rate optimal (more on that in a future post, perhaps), only to glance at my watch and see faster paces. Instead of averaging 14:45 per mile, I averaged about one minute faster, as shown below:

Pace chart for today's long run experiment, from Garmin Connect
Toward the end of the run, I explicitly timed one longer-than-required running and one longer-than-required walking interval to see roughly what each of those looked like. It turns out that I was running about 50 seconds per mile faster than planned and walking more than a minute faster than planned! (See table below.) One might remember, however, that we've thrown in an extra 'old person' minute per mile into the timing here, for good measure.

Lap chart for today's long run experiment, from Garmin Connect
I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do about this, if anything. It's very possible that this will take care of itself as long run mileage increases. We'll have to see. There are many things to learn here. Hope I'm up to the task of both learning, ... and discerning.

1 comment: