Monday, July 9, 2012

Making Imelda Proud

timelapserunner's
running shoes
A pair of running shoes are to a runner what a set of tires are to a car: that which protects the human occupant from the harsh tyranny of the road beneath. Scientists who calculate such things reckon that a force two to three times one's body weight is thrown back at the runner at each foot strike, resulting in the potential for significant stress and injury.

However, the logic expressed in that first paragraph has been the subject of hot debate in the last twenty years, with concern arising that typical running shoes may actually cause more injuries than they prevent. Critics of shoes with massive heal cushioning contend that such shoes actually encourage, perhaps even force runners to strike the ground with their heels, a completely unnatural way for man to run and a manner that subjects the runner to radical impact stress.


That said, I've decided that I'm not going to stop wearing them. I read the literature on minimalist running equipment and am not ready to take the plunge, for at least two reasons: a) my personal running style employs a shorter stride and more of a midfoot strike already, and b) the transition to minimalist running tends to aggravate the achilles tendon, a condition I fought through last year and already a definite risk factor for men over 30 (and men WAY over 30).

So, conventional running shoes, it is. Let me return to the tire metaphor: when should one replace a pair of running shoes with a new pair? After scouring the literature, the numbers thrown out cover quite a range, typically from 300 to 600 miles of running. Certainly, the 300 number would be favored by shoe manufacturers. Many runners suggest that you alternate two pairs of running shoes so that one pair can recover from the previous run. Other runners suggest that if the two pairs have a different number of miles on them, you can use your comfort in each pair to give you an idea of how fast they're breaking down.
A careful look reveals
timelapserunner's toenail damage
My current pair of running shoes (second from the bottom in the first photo - and, for those curious, Imelda owned 2700 pair of shoes) were purchased around the beginning of September last year and have a bit over 600 miles on them, pretty much all running miles. I never wear out the soles of these shoes but I do tend to drive out the cushioning effect and usually puncture a couple of toenail holes in the mesh (see photo just to the left).

Today, on July 9th, the timelapserunner's first day of formal marathon training, I treated myself to a new pair of Asics GT2170 running shoes - the brightly colored shoes in the lead photo. I got these beauties from Varsity Sports, here in town - really great people there, and I love to patronize local businesses like these. Oddest thing happened, though. Just as I was getting ready to check out (after looking over some Clif Gel Shots), the shoes disappeared! And none of the store personnel could find them. Turns out a patron had accidentally walked off with them thinking my shoes were part of their purchase.

Goodies from Varsity Sports
All is well, though. The shoes were returned, and I have them here - ready for tomorrow's workout. The Varsity Sports staff were mortified about my inconvenience but I was just as mortified thinking that their stock had walked off. Besides the usual t-shirt gift for buying shoes, Kristen (?) comped me a few Gel Shots for my inconvenience. (I told you they were great people.)

TODAY'S WORKOUT: An uneventful 3 miles walking at roughly 16:08 per mile. It's supposed to be easy and it was (if you don't mind the 97% humidity).

2 comments:

  1. Harry, I saw feet that could no longer serve the body while on the Camino. If it were not for my proper fitted shoes and socks..Mine could have been a pair of those. I will stop at Massey's and personnally thank the manager (woman) who fitted me and said I needed 1.5 sizes larger than I normally wear in a shoe. Worth the expense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, that was a blessing to get that advice ... recognizing, I suppose that your feet would swell. :)

      Delete