Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week 2 Schedule

The first week of training for the Louisiana Marathon is under our belt. Perhaps it's appropriate for the timelapserunner to reflect a moment on this past week and hopefully learn from that reflection. Here's a couple thoughts that passed through my head (with very little obstructing material to slow them down). They will certainly seem more philosophical than physical.


It's OK to be excited about something you enjoy doing.

I really like getting out there and doing my running / walking thing. It's intensely freeing. I can explore being me in ways that are not so easy for me at other times; for example, saying 'good morning' to everyone I pass by, disciplining myself to follow through on commitments, thinking about those I love and praying for their intentions. It's a bit like putting up the 'Gone Fishing' sign and entering a special place to become more of the person I am meant to be. It's my special time of combined meditation AND action.

It is truly a blessing to be able to run and walk amidst God's wondrous creation.

As I was driving back from supper earlier in the week, I was weaving my way through the neighborhood when I came to a 4-way stop. There were three of us at that intersection: myself, a car on my right, and a man in an interesting looking recumbent bicycle to my left. As I was leaving the intersection, I got a closer look at the gentleman on the bike. He had an artificial leg (maybe two). At that moment, it dawned on my how blessed I was - aches, pains, and all - just to be able to run or walk on my own.

Well, enough of the deep stuff, the navel gazing as some call it. What about next week?

Week 2 Schedule

If this schedule looks remarkably similar to last week's schedule, that's because it is. The only difference is the long run of 4 miles versus 3 miles. This is OK. In this early stage of training, the timelapserunner is just getting fully accustomed to putting in a 20-ish mile week. Soon enough the long run will get longer and we'll sense the required effort edging up. Remember the picture of the tortoises a few posts back. Patient, steady plodding combined with the slow addition of mileage is necessary so that the body becomes acclimated.

Onward to Week 2!

3 comments:

  1. Was wondering if there was a day of rest in there! They say even God took one. Go Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote from your post: "At that moment, it dawned on my how blessed I was - aches, pains, and all - just to be able to run or walk on my own". I send up a prayer of immense thanks on a {mostly} daily basis for the gift of health and a sound mind in a sound body. Good luck on this journey! Be careful not to get burnt out - January is a long time away, so don't be afraid to take some time off from running if you start dreading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sage advice. I need to remember to enjoy the process, not just the finish. :)

      Delete